View Single Post
Old 12/15/2007, 10:48 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by DarG
It is also possible that a replacement fan and bracket assembly from an Outer Orbit or other Current fixture would actually bolt right up into one of the top vents. The current fixtures all share many common traits and basic parts are interchangeable in alot of cases. The Nova very likely has the two grooves that run along the top edge which are made to huld brackets for fans, ballasts etc. Maybe leaving the fans as is and adding one up top would be plenty to draw some air up and help cool the ballasts without losing the cooling to the bulbs.

Earlier I was referring to there being no noticeable drop in output after the Nova warms up. I think that is atleast a modest indicator that the cooling is effective. I have read multiple questions and complaints from TEK owners who stated that there fixtures seemed to get dimmer after several minutes of being turned on when the acrylic lens is in use. Not making any comparisoons as to which fixture is better, just pointing out a known issue of the passively "cooled" TEK that apparently the Nova doesnt suffer from because the fan cooling seems to be effective enough.
If there is a way to mount a fan in the top it is a far superior method to cool the unit. That draws air from each end (so the lamps are equally cooled at both ends) and the ballasts. I would block off the upper halves of the fan/vent holes so the air is drawn in from the bottom so it does draw past the lamps instead of above them. Would make a nice DIY project.