Thread: Our Tbs
View Single Post
Old 07/16/2005, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lossman
OK, this thread has been going for some time and most of us have TBS rock. I'm sure we have all gone through the brown and green algae blooms and some of us have gone through and/or are going through a red slime algae bloom. Who has used a chemical product to get rid of red slime and what were your results? Did you have fish/inverts? Did it have an effect on your TBS rock? Did it hurt your macro algae in your fuge?

Thanks, Sally
I had a nasty case of cyano at about the 6 month mark. I believe it started with a rather high PO4 level, even though I had been running a fuge with decent macro growth (the clean-up crew had stripped the tank of all algae, much to my disappointment). I used a phosphate sponge (the Kent product initially, eventually installing a phosban reactor). I increased circulation (added the seio) and siphoned. I had reduced feeding, etc., etc.
It all seemed to slow down the slime growth but not rid the tank of it. I finally got impatient and used Chemi-Clean. It knocked out the cyano in about 24 hrs and initially didn't appear to affect anything else. I'm not totally convinced it was harmless, though. I can't point to anything specific but it seemed that my macro growth in the fuge slowed and I eventually (after about 3 months) had another outbreak. I'm not totally free of it at this point, but I seem to be getting the upper hand by mostly being very vigourous about siphoning any patches that I find. HTH