View Single Post
Old 11/16/2007, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

Re: Re: Amendment

Quote:
Originally posted by ann83
In the interest of making this thread as accurate as possible...

Not true. Many breeders mix their seahorse stock, and Mic Payne in Australia mixes his CB pipes with his CB seahorses too. Thats why the issue is with mixing sources, not mixing species, when it comes to CB. Its a good idea for breeders to mix their own stock, it exposes them to small amounts of various bacteria, making their stock more hardy in the home aquarium, and making it possible for customers to mix species as long as they buy from the same source. It is important to remember, though, that not ALL breeders do this.

Specifically, countries who choose to participate in CITES, follow the minimum guideline that they do not export seahorses smaller than a set size and that the seahorse export does not negatively impact wild populations. It is important to remember that some countries choose not to opt into CITES, and some countries choose to have more strict guidelines than CITES. It is also important to remember that CITES only deals with export, and does not deal with WC seahorses that are native to your own country (for example: zosterae and erectus in the U.S.). You do see plenty of WC erectus and WC zosterae in the U.S., in fact the large majority of zosterae purchased in the U.S. are WC.

I don't doubt that this was said, but it is incorrect, or at the very least, incomplete.

Who, besides Draco, closed down?

...in the United States.

You did say "feel free to add your comments"
I don't know how to do the quote thing on this forum. I appreciate your help, Ann. Frankly, I'm a little sad that I'm not getting any input from the people I thought I would be getting input from...Actually, a lot of what I HAVE been getting is downright opposition or being accused of ulterior motives, like being affiliated with certain CB suppliers. Ok, I'm done whining now.

I almost wanted to give up on this and leave it to gossip to get the word around. I am not a good writer anyway, so I wish someone would just rewrite/edit the article for me!

You're right about captive breeding facilities mixing species. I wasn't sure how to put that in the article, because I want to separate the fact that LFS and holding facilities do it, and that CB facilities do it. And I don't want to keep doubling this article's size...

I also thought about mentioning WC dwarf SH, but didn't think it was relevant. And I've never seen a WC erectus for sale, but I'm sure they are out there. Maybe I'm just not looking. Thanks for that info, I should include it, but like I said, I'm trying to keep the article relatively short--maybe I should just throw that idea out the window.

There were a few CB facilities that are no longer in production, or more accurately, many that are hurting for business. Marine Depot told me that all their SH are WC and that they considered buying from dracomarine, but that it was more expensive.

Umm, that seahorseusa shut down a couple years ago, but honestly, I doubt it was a direct result of competition from TR SH. Seanic aquariums has also been gone for a long time.