View Single Post
Old 12/26/2007, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Is your Water Actually Clear?

For the first time ever I feel as if my sump is not adequate enough.... Is your water actually clear????? I'm thinking its my Actinic lighting thats showing up every single stupid bubble in my tank.

In either case..

I am using a Oceanic model 2 sump... Solidly built and well constructed...All glass.. piece of CARP! yes.. not CRAP CARP....

I cannot seem to get the Micro Air Bubbles out of my Fish tank!!!!!!!!!!!

My Drain goes into a filter sock on the far end of the sump with barely nary a splash... the water is then processed by 2 reactors 1 Phosphate 1 Nitrate and then allowed to go through baffle #1 and under baffle #2 to my return pump (Mag 12). It should be noted that water is able to flow freely around the reactors that are standing in sump. I cannot seem to get rid of the micro bubbles.

I have removed my skimmer completely and stopped it. The return pump (mag 12) is completely submerged and is being regulated through a ball valve. but mostly it is left wide open. It also has a prefilter sponge around the intake to try and reduce the particles and airbubbles....if there ARE any.

I'm using a MTC skimmer which is great but it kicks up more bubbles than there are hobo's in NYC seriously... I think I might have to purchase some PVC and route it above the surfave of the water.

Steps I've taken to clear my water:

Removed my Skimmer
(Plan on putting it back in after mods to the output are done to raise the output above the surface of the water.

Placed a prefilter sponge around the intake of the return pump.

Added a Diatom filter which seems to just add more micro bubbles into the water. I can't seem to stop it from producing bubbles. I have now directed the OUTPUT from being in the tank to Straight down into the over flow compartment. My Theory is the water will be cleaned through the filter ad then shot down through the overflow boxs where it will be processed by phosphate, and nitrate remover, carbon and then returned to the tank.

I have also hooked up a Canister filter filled with sponge and floss media to try and regulate the bubbles. I don't know what to do anymore. I left it running at about 2:30 last night and this morning there were still some particles in the water column but the water was visibly cleaner.