View Single Post
Old 01/18/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

I guess it is my turn to translate:

Fabio said: (sorry if I paraphrase a little)
In 99.99% of the cases frozen products include various preservatives some of which contain of ammonia, if my memory doesnt fail me… Preseervatives may also be found in fish products that are transported long distances to where you live. If I go to Rome (as an example) and buy fish that comes from 800 km away from my house, it will probably contain some type of preservative, even if it came from the fresh fish counter. Therefore beyond looking for fish that is not frozen, I look into the place where it comes from and try to get it from local sources. It is a good rule to avoid frozen ingredients just for the simple fact that the traders are forced to preserve the fish after it has been caught until it is sold…. Even if you find fish (even if it has been frozen) that is guaranteed not to contain preservatives there is another problem…. If I take 10 frozen mussels (or other seafood), once I defrost it, prepare the pappone and then re-freeze it into cubes many of the nutrients would get lost. In the end it is best to get the freshest ingredients.

Fabio

BTW, Fabio, PE is referring to polyp extension