View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 10:42 PM
Mackerel

Yes it will probably wind up in the display tank. I only coarse-filtered my sump pump intake water so anything up to 3/16" could pass up in my tank. If you use a fine filter (a sponge intake filter) that might help contain Acanthophora to the sump but that would also put a hurt on your pump output flow and prevent desirable bugs, etc from migrating up from the sump. In my tank Acanthophora algae would start growing out from the maxijet intake filter screens (loved the high flow around the powerheads), but also from the rock or and anyplace a tiny floating fragment might get lodged where there was good light and current. But even then A. spicefera grows in a clump from the origonal holdfast, making it easier to contain IME than Caulerpa or Halimeda that spreads laterally. Sargassum tends to be easy to control in the main tank for the same reason as Acanthophora, it grows up from a single holdfast. Sargassum also does not spread readily by fragmentation, in fact we were debating on here a while back if fragments could actually generate a true holdfast. There are Sargassums native to Hawaii, not sure how they would fare in you lighting regime and flow regime. I grew Sargassum hystrix under 250W 6500K Iwasakis and it grew great for a while then stopped. Sargassum is also a good candidate for the sump where mine grew well just floating.