View Single Post
Old 05/09/2007, 07:43 PM
always hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Taz_Devil
Loved the original thread Darrell and eventually found this one as well and thank-you for putting your experiences into words, I know that must have been quite hard and time consumning. I haven't had my elegance long but the polyps are all extending and it is feeding quite well, I dont have to target feed it because I do see some success from my regular feeding regime and the elegance definetely closes up around this time so I can only assume its feeding on something. I havent tried a target feed as yet (next on my list) but will try with some small brine shrimp (if that seems reasonable to you). Its in a large tank, on the sand (buried in due to conical shape of the base) and extends very well under my 3 x 250W 14k MH which are supplemented for 2-3 hours (split dusk/dawn) with 2 x 58W blue actinics. No sign of polyps shrinking but what is the over sized oral disc ? I posted a pic of mine in your first post so I guess if you noticed any issues you would have said at the time. Thanks again, great write up.
Thanks for the kind words.
You will know the over sized oral disk if you see it, but I don't think you will. The polup will swell with water and contract its tentacles. There is a pic of one here on RC in another thread. I will try to find it and let you know where it is so you can check it out.
I wouldn't use brine shrimp. Its not that they are bad its just that they dont have much of a nutritional value. At least the adults. The babys with the yoke sack are better. Did you read my sugestions on feeding earlier in the thread? If so try that and see if it make a difference in the growth of your elegance. It does sound like your elegance is managing to grab some particals from the water as you feed your tank, but I wonder how much food its getting. These corals can be pigs. If you do deside to try feeding like this, let me know how it goes, and thanks again.