View Single Post
Old 10/26/2007, 12:37 PM
clams are your friends.

sorry, I think I might have come off the wrong way there-- when your tank isn't looking good, it's not always an issue of laziness. What I mean is there's some aspect of water chemistry that has been neglected. I went through a bad hair algae outbreak despite spending endless hours doing water changes and everything else I could fathom. Hair algae is typically a sign of a phosphate issue that can be pushed even further by bad lighting. I'm not sure how well stocked the stores are near you in S.A., Phosban reactors are pretty cheap and easy to set up.

In the meantime, ruthlessly attack the algae manually followed by water changes. Allowing to grow unchecked compunds the problem and will make it take even longer to go away once you do your upgrades. Make life as difficult as you can for it until you get your new lights and sump. Your fingers and a toothbrush are a cheap way to start.

Oh, and that Kenya Tree-- keep in in the cleanest, highest flow and light area you can. They are pretty tough.