View Single Post
Old 10/25/2007, 04:19 AM
Registered Member

Question Soft coral help (Kenya Tree)

Hi all, I need some help please

I bought a Kenya Tree coral from a friend who decided to sell his complete setup. The coral was doing well in my friend's tank and I thought it would be a great addition to my tank.

After about a week in my tank, the Kenya Tree is "losing its backbone", it doesn't want to stand up and has become somewhat smaller. If it pushes against rocks, there is a type of slime on the rock if you move the coral (maybe it should be like that, I don't know).

Now the facts:
My friend's tank has been running for about 5 months. My tank has been running for 10 months. I know my lights are old, but I want to upgrade from tubes to MH within 2 months. I also havn't got a sump, which I also plan to upgrade.

I've also noted that NO coraline algea has started to grow in my tank, not on the LR or on the glass, while my friend's tank is overrun with the purple stuff.

My parameters is:
pH: 8.0 - 8.2
NH3: 0mg/L
NO2: 0 - 0.3mg/L
NO3: 12.5mg/L

I don't know what the calsium, phosphur or alkalinity is, coz I havn't got test kits for those. I don't know what the relations is between mg/L and ppm.

My system is still overrun by hair algea. I feed little, and do regular water changes, I think it is my lights. Can any give me some advice on how to save the coral? Is it already dead, can it be saved? Do I temporarily need to remove it? What is killing it?

Thank you!