View Single Post
Old 03/05/2004, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oceanarus
Boy I wish I knew! I know in a previous post I had estimated a couple of the hatchouts at >90% based on the number of fry swimming in the tank and also on how many eggs I thought would be in the nest. But recently I have looked at some very small pieces of the nest under a microscope and now I think the number of eggs in the nest is more like in the tens of thousands .
WOW! That is impressive. I am sure you can flood the market with captive breed watchmen pretty soon. I can't wait - this fish is not expensive but very rare in my area.

Quote:
20 gal long tank, plexiglass top, 2 sponge filters driven by airstones, two pieces of pvc pipe, and the plastic maze brain coral decor piece that is thier spawning cave (pictures are probably a page or two back and I think in my gallery).
Geez, I am sorry, I ment rearing tank Please excuse my mistake. I read you mentioning "cloud of rotifers" - do you have water standing still there? With light on top? How are you keeping rotifers and fry concentrated in a "cloud"? What are the pollutant levels in your rearing tanks? How often do you change water? How do you clean the detritus? The answer to these questions will be helpful in my atempts to rise cleaner shrimps larvae. I tried before with no success. Maybe I can learn something from your experience. I have probably L-strain since the adults are not much smaller than artemia naupulii, but I noticed them gathering under the light when I turned off the circulation so I guess they are positively phototropic, like the artemia naupulii. I guess the watchman fry are very tiny. Are they phototropic as well?

BTW - where did you get S-strain of rotifers and what is the difference in size/behaviour between S- and L-strains? Are they the same spieces just sorted out by the size?