Thread: Azno3
View Single Post
Old 09/24/2007, 05:10 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

I mentioned the levels being very low but pointed out I've also read other literature with much higher levels and they agree with my observations of corals showing stress with a rapid nitrate drop.

Not at the levels that Marc has and we are taking Marc's tank. Cutting his levels in half will have no effect.

You can't argue with MY OBSERVATIONS

Sure I can anyone can, it may have not been nitrate. Nitrate is not the only carbon source in a reef tank. It have may have been something else. Your are assuming it was NO3-

Remember not all corals want low nitrates.

They also don't want 30 ppm, 15 ppm or even 5 or 10 ppm. And not all corals want high NO3- either and what are you calling high for corals ? It is not 15 ppm.

Do lots of people do this (large water changes) and get away with it. YOU BET, but people do dumb things all the time and get away with it.

No one is arguing that. I have not seen anyone bring up such issues as you claim. Your remarks are that if something happens don't do it. If the is the case all should stop using GAC, Activated Alumina , Ozone, Purple-Up, sugar, Vodka, nitrate reactors or a host of others that way out beat any posts on reducing nitrates and I don't even remember seeing such a post here or any place I can think of on what you claim to have seen. I'm not saying it has not happen.

That in itself doesn't mean it the best thing to do.

That in itself does not mean it is the wrong thing to do either.

Tanks need time to adjust to EVERYTHING, not just the things we usually think of as "being good for the tank".

That depends on what it is. As I said you are one of many and many do or have done some large changes with no issue. We don't' base things on just Carlo's incident/s.

Salt manufactures know this and that's why most of them tell you right on the bucket you shouldn't exceed 10% a week or 25% biweekly water changes. Think about that

I don't's have to, all I have to look at is what has been done by thousands. Did you ever think they may just be trying to get you to buy more salt ? Many also tell you to keep the Sg ~ 1.023, do you do that ? I would love to see people do 10% a week or 25% biweekly water changes. But many do 25-30% / m and that would fall in-line with your drastic NO3- reduction, if they are having a rise in NO3- and it is just not seen. Large WC are not uncommon by far. Or multi -WC in a short time. Again NO3- is not the only carbon source.

To much to fast is not good.

And the opposite is also true.

That depends on what it is.