View Single Post
Old 12/27/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
See what I do is when I am about ready to buy salt, I get a bucket of each and test them. The last time I tested TMP, I didn't like the results. I got a nasty-gram from there distributor telling me that the Pro has lower numbers because Pro users supplement. I understand where he's coming from, but I evaluate salt by cost and whether it fits my needs. I like my salt to have batch numbers like TMP and OceanPure Pro, as well as dKh of 8 - 10, and Ca of 385 - 450.

Once I have found a batch I like, I buy a large amount. I usually buy 2,400 to 4,800g worth at a time. I also really don't believe in sticking with a favorite salt. I think this is a huge mistake. I believe each salt will be high or low in various elements we cannot or do not test for, and that sticking with one will deprive the system of elements over the long term. Just a thought for you!
An interesting idea to say the least. I read your other point about blending salts. I'm going to see what's available to me and go from there. Now when you say blend salts, I assume you would be talking mixing 2 or 3 brands at the most yes? Anymore would be a bit extreme?

I'd love to order big quantities, but I have nor the room or money at the moment. If I could have I would have bought HEAPS of Seachem. I add trace elements and vitamins, but I base this on the exceptional heealth that my aquarium shows, a little down turn now with Red Sea, not pro. I hope that this is temporary, as I have put a lot of work into getting to this stage.