View Single Post
Old 12/22/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wildjoe
The tank I'm setting up is a 58 Oceanic RR that is 36" wide. The 2 "off the shelf" fixtures I'm considering are the Elos Planet II and the Giesemann Infiniti. Since the fixture will be hung a few inches above the tank I'm hoping that the spread from a 250w with the 4 T5's will be enough for the remaining 6" on each side. I'm thinking this will also give some range in intensity for the LPS and soft corals I'm planning on keeping.
Those are both supposed to be nice fixtures but they do have smallish reflectors for the halides like most combos. You wont get a full 36" spread with high intensity but I can see that you already realize this ... so keep high light lovers from the ends like you intend to do. The thing with T5 reflectors though is that they dont really throw any intense light beyond the ends of the bulbs, only throughout the length of the reflector. So, they arent going to contribute much to adding par to the 6 inches on either end. That's going to be all on what the halide reflector is able to throw. But it sounds like you know the limitations so you know what you have to work with.

Any thoughts on a 36" long combo with a single center halide but full length T5's? Do anyone make one in the class of the two 24" units you are considering?