View Single Post
Old 01/03/2008, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Petco Rescue. Oh the humanity!!!!!!

All,

Tell me if I'm going of the "deep end," please...

I've been in my local Petco store on many occasions to buy stuff for my Beagle. Needless to say, I stop over at their "marine aquariums" only to be horrified by the conditions of their stock, mainly their Anemones. Last time I was in there, there was a white-pink tipped anemone almost completely dead with shriveled up tentacles. Petco wouldn't allow me to purchase it for a very reduced price, but would rather let it die off. Tell me that isn't bizarre.

Anyhow. Today I stopped in to see what horrors were taking place. Low and behold, a brand new anemone (just like the last) struggling to live. I told the lady that I wanted to purchase it, but I also wanted to know the SG in their tank. She had no idea what I was talking about, but after I explained to her that I need this "thingy" with a little floating arm (so the less educated on marine aquariums could understand), I proceeded to measure their SG. Low and behold it was at best 1.010 on a INstant Ocean hydrometer.

I ended up buying the white anemone. But I can't continually feel compelled to rescue marine critters from Petco. I'll go broke!

Have I lost my mind?? And I'm a dude who's supposed to be cold hearted! LOL

72 Gal bowfront
SunPod 2x150W 14K HQI-MH w/ 18 Lunar Lights
Tidepool II w/ Euro-Reef RS-100
Osmolator Universal 3155
2 Hydor Koralia 3 @ 850 gph