View Single Post
Old 08/17/2006, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tnyr5
just curious, what are typical care conditions to make these corals grow at the fast ( for lps) rates that you guys get? I'm mostly an sps guy but i got one lord last year that bleached totally white at first & has now regained all it's color, but doesn't grow lol. I run 2 x 250 xm 10k, mr2 skimmer, reactor, nothing wrong with the tank becasue sps are doing very well. i was feeding it 4x a week for several months but stopped because it kept eating and eating but never grew.
I've noticed that there is momentum with coral growth. If something interrupts that momentum, like bleaching, rtn, or other stress issues, the coral will switch out of it's growth mode and into the survival mode. You don't see a lot of growth in the survival mode, and it can take a long time and a lot of care for the coral to come out of that mode.

I have a few Acanthastrea lords that I'm watching for a friend. At one point, these corals were doubling the polyp count every month. After a couple years of crazy growth, the corals were put though some heavy stress. Some of the polyps were hanging off the skeleton. He put them in my care to save them. It's been about 4 months and they are looking better, but no growth. I would not expect to see growth out of them for a while, after what they went through.