View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

They don't claim the efficiency of their reflectors (that I found) and the "SlimPaq high output T5 lamps offer a quantum leap in lamp performance, with more than 50% higher output compared to an ordinary T5, T8 or T12 fluorescent systems" advertisement doesn't tell me what they consider an "ordinary" T5 system to be. Sometimes you do get what you pay for though.

It may be worth a try, yes. But, I'd still post in the Lighting forum and (as suggested by Aquabucket) also ask The Grim Reefer for bulb recommendations. The combination he suggested for me is absolutely stunning. My 70G is now entirely SPS, running 7x54W T5-HO bulbs. Assuming running similar bulb combination and similar quality fixture, you can do the W/G calculations -- but again, as suggested earlier, PAR, reflector quality, choice of bulbs, coral depth, etc.. are all more important than just watts per gallon.

You'll also want to take care introducing your new light, by starting with a lower photo-period and gradually increasing it so as not to shock your corals.

Good luck!