View Single Post
Old 01/05/2008, 02:37 AM
Mortar Target

Quote:
Originally posted by chrissreef
here's some more from my original post

"(recycling, organic growing, renewable resources etc.) - if we had done this from the beginning, what impact would that be?

If the industrial revolution never occured or if it had but technologies like wind/hydro power and mass transit fully developed/integrated? How much different would medicines/medical technology be?

How close would CO2 and other pollutants be at compared to now? "

Judging by ancient peoples such as Incas and Aztecs, it seems to me that even people who are much more in tune with their environment than todays societies still have to deal with disease, famine, flood, drought, war, etc...

Without the industrial revolution there would be no wind or hydro power; well not on the scale that we have today. The technology has to develop. The human population as it is today could not be sustained with old techniques for farming.

I work directly with medical technology. It's continuing to evolve based upon what people learn through the old technology. I am still amazed at how high tech a modern operating room is. Theory only goes so far in science; it must be put into practice sooner or later. To think that during the American Civil War, most limbs were amputated unnecessarily and without any anesthesia makes one cringe.

As a bright economist once said, "There are no solutions, only trade offs". Technology comes with it's price.

You ask interesting questions. It's refreshing to know that some folks still use their brains and make inquisitive statements.