View Single Post
Old 01/04/2008, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Idareefer - "the hole in the ozone layer? almost closed"
I thought it almost closed... but China began utilizing more oil without regulation b/c of their industrial growth and thus it got ripped open again... even worse than b4. i'll need to double check that.

edit: Here's a link... '06 was the largest hole ever... '07 was 30% smaller. Every year it opens/closes however it's larger than it used to be during those months AND it's open for more months per year.
http://www.theozonehole.com/ozonehole2007.htm

samtheman - "And how do your determine what effect man has?"
good question... it would be an estimate likely based on how much oil has been pumped to date, coal mined and cows slaughtered. You would then take the avg Co2 each emits and also determine how much vegitation has been cut down by humans over time and what their impact on CO2 reduction would have been.

Again, it would all be estimates from an unbiased scientific perspective. It also assumes CO2 is the cause as you mentioned. (but we do know CO2 causes higher temps in a closed environment - that's just how CO2 works)

The whole post was just out of curiosity... everyone says human CO2 is to blame so my question is... "what would CO2 levels be and/or the planet "temp" (that has supposedly risen) be IF human CO2 wasn't pumped into the atmosphere at the rates it has been for the past 50 yrs... AND if forests weren't cut down (that convert CO2).

Would the planet "temps" be any different in the model? If so, then humans "might" be a cause... if the temp is about the same, then maybe humans have little/no impact and it's just a cycle.

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet

Last edited by chrissreef; 01/04/2008 at 07:25 PM.