View Single Post
Old 01/04/2008, 11:10 AM
Mortar Target

Quote:
Originally posted by Rossini
Yes but do you realise that all these changes and extinctions that have taken place before have never happend as quick as they are now. And it just so happens that its linked directley to the huge increases of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere from mining the fossil fuels deep inside the earth,burnt and pumped them into the atmosphere.

Is it really that hard to understand?

Not hard to understand at all, it's just not very believable. The scientific evidence for the last five mass extinction periods all point to things dying off very quickly. This is why they refer to these periods as mass extinctions. Nobody is really sure why they occurred, just that they certainly did. Since no humans were around to record the data, stating that they never occurred at the same rate as today is not scientifically valid. Not everything that lives then dies becomes fossilized. There is absolutely no way science can give any accurate data about the rate of extinction of animals in any thousand year period that occurred 25 million years ago. I do not reject science, I tend to embrace it. I also know that it has it's limitations. When we reach these limitations, we must interject our own theories in order to fill in the blanks. These theories are always changing based upon new evidence and discoveries. Theories are not facts, so I do not regard them as such.

Greenbean,

I have no idea of the imminent threats of rainforests and reefs due to climate. From the looks of things, the rain forests are in more of a danger from being cut down rather than climatic destruction.