Thread: !!! ich !!!
View Single Post
Old 06/19/2005, 11:37 AM
"Old Yeller"

Quote:
Originally posted by tranboy
well to tell you guys the truth i've read pretty much every article i could find about ich. but well i'ma try to go with the trap and take them out fo a quarintine tank. i think i'm going with the hyposalinity (i hope that the right spelling). well thanx every one for the input. this thread really helped me out =)
It is hard to sift through all the trash to find the good stuff.

A few points I would press:

Your QT tank is going to be kind of touchy for ammonia at first, you need to get it cycled and monitor ammonia constantly. The first week or 2 you could have a fatal spike in a few hours. Get a seachem real time monitor ($8) also. Many lose fish from this problem

Get a refractometer, you can not maintain the 1.009 to 1.010 with a swingarm style tester

QT is should be 6 to 8 weeks (allows the display to self cleanse of the parasite)

Hypo as described above is how I do mine but again, my tanks stays fallow for 8 weeks.

Understand that there are in fact some strains of ich that are showing resistance to hypo. If at 3 weeks or so into hypo you still have problems, you will need to raise salinity and go with copper treatment.

You always have the resource of this forum for questions, there really are some good ideas here for sure