Thread: !!! ich !!!
View Single Post
Old 06/19/2005, 08:25 AM
"Old Yeller"

A few things before this thread turns into a copy of about I would say 100 others (Please run a search on "Ich")
1. None of the above "remedies" have been either proven effective or even shown to do any good.
2. There are 0, None and zilch for "reef safe" treatments for ich
3. You are going to have to remove the fish (or all the live rock, substrate and inverts) to treat the fish and tank.

This is not my opinion but pretty much established fact. In short, ich is a protozoan, (an invert) and so are a ton of other good living things in your tank. This is just 1 bad one and to kill it with a drug, chemical or treatment is going to kill all the beneficial ones at the same time. There is no way around this.

So you either wipe out everything (not good)
Or you practice animal husbandry that has been proven to work and follow proven methods. (this does not include spices, acupuncture or a little old lady running around in a funny hat)

I can fully empathize with your hope for an easy, effective cure for this parasite. However there are only 2 proven (emphasis on "proven") ways to deal with this.

Copper treatment or hyposalinity. Both have a narrow band of effectiveness that requires careful monitoring.

The only other think you can do is wait and see if your fish die. You might be dumping " Magical fish gunk", "Clearasil" or hotsauce in the tank but it will not make a difference. The fish will succumb or survive the ich outbreak (a Hippo Tang in a 38 is doomed anyway).

So before you get mad at me, please run a search here at RC on Ich and spend the next 3 or 4 hours reading

We now return you to your regularly scheduled debate on ich