View Single Post
Old 09/02/2007, 06:13 PM
Registered Member.

Would you guy be interested in tank raised clams?
I have been working on the idea that clams which are destined for the reef keeping hobby should be inoculated using domesticated/captive raised strains of zooxanthellae.
I have a feeling the clades morph under the stimuli of artificial conditions, creating a new type of artificial clade .
Its been known for some time that wild corals seem to bleach at temperatures much cooler then the average home aquarium.)
Why do domestic kept corals seem to thrive in warm temperatures?
Are these domestic raised zooxanthellae a new stain of algae which may only develop under artificial conditions.
These captive monstrosities may not only be beeter able to survive warm spells , but also be better suited to captive research then wild collected, due to the fact that they have already adapted to laboratory conditions and have already fully adjusted to captive life.
Any studies conducted using these domesticated clades will have the advantage of using algae which are not still acclimating to the (not wild) conditions of the lab.
Corals or clams which are not fully adjusted to captive conditions may skew the results of any secondary research.

I can supply the clams if you would like to identify adaptations which may take place in clam zoox during captive conditioning.
Jeff