Thread: RO questions
View Single Post
Old 01/01/2008, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

Re: Re: RO questions

Quote:
Originally posted by BuckeyeFS Some systems use a capillary flow restrictor. These restrictors look similar to the plug type, except they have a long, thin (several inches to a foot or so) capillary tube extending from the cap. Again - this type of flow restrictor can be found INSIDE the waste tubing.
This is what I have. I found it. Thanks!

Quote:
Your pressure, even with clean filters, is low. So I wouldn't think you'd want it to go any lower than 40 psi.
I mis-read it. It actually runs at 50 psi.

Quote:
That would be an unusual approach. More standard approach would be to replace the block BEFORE you get chlorine break through - carbon blocks come with a specified chlorine capacity - change the clock when you get to about 75% of the chlorine capacity or a 6 months, whichever comes first.
So I should keep track of how many gallons I am producing?

Quote:
Potentially - remember that the tds in the waste water will be about 20% higher than in your tap water. If you have low tds to start with, it may be fine to drink. If you have high tds to start with, you may not like the flavor. You can use it for laundry, watering the plants, etc... You'll have to specifically look at the quality of the waste water to know if it is ok for your fresh water tanks.
Ahhhhhh, I didn't think of that. I don't really understand how an RO membrane works, so I had no idea that the waste water would have higher TDS than my tap water, but it makes sense. I'll test my tap TDS as soon as my meter gets here (it's in the mail!).

Thanks SO much Russ!!! You helped a lot!

PS I wish I would have bought one of your systems instead. Good prices.

Last edited by Myka; 01/01/2008 at 12:34 AM.