View Single Post
Old 03/23/2007, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

Good Point Nanook. Not sure if your post will ever change things. Thats one thing us older reefers have seen is this hobby. Is a lot higher prices on higher end equipment and those fancy names for acros just to command higher prices for frags of them.

I've seen alot of hobbyists just decide to get out of the hobby. Because they say it's not as much fun as it once was. They say it's all about the money and greed anymore. I do believe some come in this hobby only for the money not the true love of reefkeeping like some of us are in it for. I have spent alot of money on those rare and exotic frags myself. But I'm now to the point where I try to work out trades with the ones I have for the ones I'd like to get. I have found it's alot cheaper and it is sharing frags with others.
I'm tired of spending so much for corals. And in time you see their prices drop. I have sold alot of frags here on RC. And I usually sell them for less than I paid. And I'm always willing to share with my friends, provided they are willing to share with me. I know I'm not in it for the money. I have been in this hobby going on 18 yrs now, I do try to sell some frags just to try to get some of my money back. Andi t always goes to lights,salt or maybe a new frag I have been wanting if the price is reasonable.

I have watched venders raise their prices on certain frags too when they become popular. I'm afraid as long as people keep paying the high prices, they will continue to rise.

Some people and venders even sell frags and corals on ebay just to see if they can get more for them.

I'm not one to bid on ebay for a frag. I will decide on the price I'm willing to pay. And not willing to compete with bids for it. Or others.

Maybe one day it will change, but like you said. We have no one else to blame but ourselves and it's up to us to make the changes right?? Or it will continue....