View Single Post
Old 07/08/2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by robster
Tell me more about this mod. Any pics?
OK, so I hope this isn't considered a high-jack but I wanted to get back regarding this mod. I got the chance to snap a couple of pics today since I took it out for cleaning.

This mod was done by the World Famous Don Nguyen (WFDN), a master at pump modding for sure. It provides a lot more flow, turns on in the correct direction every time, and only burns 7 watts! Yes that's right...I am guessing somewhere around 1,800+ gph at 7 watts...

What kills me about all of Don's mods, is that while he is good and has a lot of experience, his solutions for essentially poor designed powerheads are very simple and easy to do. It amazes me how much garbage is being sold in the hobby, and this pump is a very good example. As far as I was concerned, after trying this pump out stock, I was going to round-file it. It was total junk, and when taken apart, appeared to be made out of Radio Shack parts. I would never post anything positive about the Tunze products I have used or seen in use, but I am compelled to post about this modified 6025. It kicks butt! It also has a beefed up prop.

WFDN also modded a Maxi-Jet 1200 that always turns on in the correct direction, runs well over 2000 gph, and burns 21 watts. That pump is hard to keep restrained!