View Single Post
Old 01/10/2008, 10:27 PM
Premium Member

I'm not sure if this is a good idea with these particular fish or not, but I thought I'd mention it anyway -- maybe someone more knowledgeable can give their thoughts, or you can do some research.

I have a bunch of mollies that I purchased from a LFS specifically to use as a food source for my reef fish. They were in FW when I got them, but I've acclimated them to SW (they're at about 1.015 right now, will eventually be at 1.025 just like the reef - I just didn't want to shock the recently-born babies so I'm waiting until they're a bit older to continue raising the salinty).

Mollies can go from FW to SW with ease, and they'll eat anything - that means you can gut-load them with algaes, frozen foods, flakes, pellets soaked in vitamins, whatever you want, and when your predator eats the mollies it will also get the nutrition from their latest meal. They reproduce about once every six weeks or so, and even when they're young you should get at least 20-25 fry from each female every time she gives birth. The young grow quickly if they're fed well and will reach 1" long within a couple of months.

Good luck with your little guy, he really is neat. I hope that foxface doesn't mistake him for actual Sargassum and try to munch his fins!