View Single Post
Old 03/09/2006, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a valid concern about switching salts. I was using Kent and it got expensive in Houston, so I switched to another salt (Crystal Seas) that was cheaper and several local aquarists loved it and their tanks looked great.

I tested it before adding it to my tank and the values I could test for were: Ca: 380ppm, Alk, 10dKH, Mg 1350ppm, Phosphate, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate all zero, pH 8.1. So it looked like a good salt. I slowly switched over using 10% WCs, one per week.

To make a long story short, 2 months after starting to switch over to Crystal seas my corals started to decline and I ended up losing 5 frags of zoas and a few mushrooms and over half of my corals looked bad. I bit the bullet and bought Kent again and within a couple of weeks of 10-15% WCs every 3 days the corals stopped getting worse and started getting better.

Sure it could have been something else other than the salt switch, but I doubt it. So I won't be using Crystal seas again and now that Kent has handled this formulation error badly I'll be switching to another brand. So I had some concerns.
I had a similare expereince switching from Kent to IO, my tank mates didn't like it. When I went back to Kent, things looked better.

I'm wanting a new salt that is quality and will make my tank mates happy.