View Single Post
Old 03/08/2006, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Randy for your input,

I would never say I am an expert on any part of this hobby that attitude would get me in trouble. After about 14 years of trying, I have discovered a few things and retained some information in regards to reef aquariums. I also have a small background in sicence (BS Biology + Clinical Lab Testing 13 years). I also know where good information exists, the articles you listed in your post are great.

I also know water changes are not a good way of trying to correct PH. I did not add all the information related to his issue (not related to this thread) and had already instructed him on the affect 02 (adding aeration) and CO2 (directly) have on PH and had given him some instruction on how to see if that may be the cause. I also discussed with him the buffering capacity of his tank and its affects, and other possible causes. He had some animals die, and had been performing the water changes to make sure that poor water quality conditions were not a factor (degradation of organics to C02). I have already pointed my friend to the articles you mentioned and have read them myself several times, again its great information. This is one reason I do not like posting. Its hard to know someone's background or their experience level with these issues. I know you did not know this information and were trying to help.

The point is, the reason I posted the information at all is because I thought the high alk readings he received seemed to back up some conditions happening at the plant that process Kent, Coralife, and Oceanic salt. That was the information I was trying to relay not how to correct PH, which would not pertain to this thread anyways.

Thanks for the input though... and sorry if I misdirected anyone to a different topic.

I'm out!

Last edited by Shaun120; 03/08/2006 at 11:24 AM.