View Single Post
Old 03/25/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichardS

So the questions are -

1.) Not including fusion because it doesn't exist and you can't say when or if it ever will (unless you actually know that). How much of an impact can we realistically expect those green alternative energy sources to make on the world's energy requirements?
2.) If we all started TODAY how long would it take to switch the world over to these alternative energy sources to achieve the answer from question #1?
3.) Taking into account that the earth's population is expected to increase to 9.4 billion in 43 years (around a 50% increase) will these alternative energy sources stop the predicted GW disaster? If yes, How?
Excuse if there are a few errors, but I will answer to my best knowledge.
1.) Green energy sorces can have a huge impact. But these must be combined with increasing efficency of the entire grid. From production through to the end user. Many of the technologies are available today. As you say Fusion does not exist as a solution today and it may be way too expensive to implement in time as a solution, but research must go on. More research into increasing the efficiency of the production, maintenance and use of power is needed now and we can only do that viably if there is significant demand. If renewable power was a boom industry many more solutions will become viable. That being said, with sxisting technologies we can solve the problem. But it will be expensive.

Increasing the fuel efficiency of cars is an easy step to take and most car companies are already on that path. Some others like Ford and GMH are on the ropes partly because they are not. Buying the car you need instead of buying the car you want is always a good option.

To answer your other question, stopping deforestation can have a very large impact. Much of this is happening in developing countries, however much is still hapening in developed countries like Australia. This obviously must be a priority.

2.) It would change on a country to country basis. But if you take the USA for instance. 70% of the US is powered by fossil fuels. I have seen estimates that by 2025 25% can be powered by renewable energy (not including nuclear). That is a significant saving right there.

3.) These solutions can solve some of the problems that AGW will create. However some problems will occur no matter what now. The global sea temps will increase no matter what. But the final temp can be influenced by our actions right now. Global sea levels will increase no matter what, but agian our actions now will help determine the maximum height it will reach. Other issues will depend on the effects of positive feedback loops and other problems that may start sooner. Either way, every action that is taken now will save lives in the future.

The above only reflects my views and understandings of the topic. There are many better informed people who can answer in a better and more concise fashion.