View Single Post
Old 07/11/2007, 06:29 AM
Genuine reef addict

Hi Laurent. What RobSW1 said is correct - same thing I had at the beginning. Luckily i never had much green algae after the brown. Some of that gunk you can try to scrape off with a siphon during a water change - mine was never easy to blow off with a turkey baster though. I still want to mod my siphon though and try to attach the working end of a toothbrush or something to the end so that when I get an occasional patch of algae I can scrape it off & siphon it up at the same time.

I have my doubts on how effective the Nitrobac is. I've had much more success with the SW version of Bio-Spira - costly but it's worked for me, and it does seem to have the correct bacteria to get the cycle completed quickly. It has to have been kept refrigerated (live bacteria) but if you can get it locally, without paying the high cost of overnight shipping, you might think about it.

Putting a Koralia on the right side might help blow some of that grit and algae off the rock, and cut down on more growing.

How's your nitrate level doing?

I'd suggest you give Pinky a call at RSM support to check on the timer. I find that calling makes things happen quicker than emailing. The information I have for her is: (281) 447-0205, Toll Free: 1-888-RedSea9. I need to try to remember to call her today & get a second upgrade fan for the hood - mine's really gotten noisy & if I'm going to have to take the hood apart I'd rather replace both fans at the same time & get it over with.