Thread: potassium
View Single Post
Old 10/27/2006, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Randy

I just posted this in another forum then I came across this thread any comments to what I have asked.

Thank you

Rich

Mr. ?

I see a lot of products that contain some form of potassium (Potassium Sulfate, Potassium Iodide) in them (Marc Weiss Coral Vital, Marc Weiss Immuno Vital, Marc Weiss Reef Vital DNA, Seachem Flourish Potassium, ESV Potassium Iodide Solution,) for use in reef tanks. What does potassium do as far as a trace element and water quality. Also is there an effective way to test for potassium(K). I know that some people use KMnO4 as an oxidizer in fresh water tanks. Any insight will help. The reason I asked this question is that a friend of mine put some Seahem Flourish Potassium in his reef and noticed the water became clearer and believed he had better light penetration. The Reef Vital DNA claims to be a water conditioning product that when applied allows the dipole water molecules of the aquarium to realign, promoting greater light penetration throughout the aquarium water. Deeper light penetration promotes the growth of beneficial coralline algae and significantly enhances colors. I just want to know how much truth is there in this statement and is potassium something to start thinking about for the future.

Rich