Thread: New 55g Tank
View Single Post
Old 01/11/2008, 05:43 PM
Team RC Member

obzezzed is right - then tang and butterfly won't work in that sized tank.

I don't think your puffer will be compatible with a lionfish. Puffers are notorious for chewing on lionfish, and I believe GSP are pretty pugnacious, especially as they get bigger. The angel will probably be okay, just have plenty of live rock cover.

you could also consider some clowns, a green wolf eel blenny, which is one of my favorites, damsels are a possibility.

I'd go for 1-1.5 lbs live rock per gallon, and make sure you invest in a skimmer. I have a heavily stocked 55 with about 70 +/- lbs live rock, shallow sand bed, a BakPak protein skimmer and HOB refugium (Aquafuge). At the least, invest in a good skimmer (not a Skilter or SeaClone) and a power filter for mechanical/chemical filtration and added surface agitation.

I recommend you get a copy of New Marine Aquarium by Mike Paletta. It's a great read, and gives you the basics for a FOWLR tank. It's less than $20 and will save you a lot of money. When I got started in the hobby, the info in that book would have been really handy. I had to learn the hard, and expensive, way which fish would live and get along, and what equipment I REALLY needed.