Thread: Clear PVC
View Single Post
Old 01/16/2007, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by j0tca
Yeah, I'm sure with standard 40 the fittings would be the same, otherwise therewould be no point in the standard.

I found when I was looking for clear PVC that there was a lot available that was of varying thickness and much did not fit with standard fittings.

My only advice is to check before you buy it, it's not like regular PVC, there seems to be more variety in it. I measured my clear PVC and it's about .67, not standard at all.

It is cheaper than acrylic though, and by a fair margin, or at least it's available from several shops around me at a much lower price than acrylic.
The thickness is rather irrelavant. The O.D. is what matters. As I have already shown, most of the readily available clear PVC pipe follows standard IPS outside diameters.

With regard to Cost...

CLEAR PVC PIPE is not cheaper than CAST ACRYLIC once you reach the 4"-6" or so mark. As the diameter increases, so does the price gap. Large diameter clear PVC is much more expensive than the Cast Acrylic product.

A look at the links above will will give you an idea of the pricing.

The nice part is the fact that the 4" and 6" pvc is readily available and DOES FIT standard fittings. It can make fabrication very easy for those who do not have the skills to tool PVC flanges and fittings.

Bean