View Single Post
Old 06/11/2007, 04:43 PM
always hungry

Hello. Looks like yawl have been having fun without me.
I do believe it is the PAR that causes the problems. In an attempt to provide the coral with an environment that more closely resembles that which it came from, I have suggested people use higher Kelvin temp lights. We know that there are different algaes, and plants in general, that grow best in different lights. We know that there are different species of zooxanthellea (algae). I would assume that these different species would be better suited to different environments. If this is true, providing the coral with these higher kelvin temp lights, that would more closely mimic the light found at depth where most of our Elegance corals are coming from, may aid them in adapting to aquarium life.

In the pic that was posted, while the coral may have been faded a bit, my main concern would be the clown fish. I don't want to turn this into a debate over, if we should allow clown fish to use LPS's as hosts or not. However, in this pic the coral is withdrawn. When clowns use Elegance corals as a host most of them will begin to withdraw like the one in the pic. The good thing in this case may be that the clowns keeping the coral withdrawn has kept the coral from capturing as much light and therefore not getting burnt by the 10K lights. In a well expanded Elegance coral you should be able to see the oral disk. This coral is withdrawn due to the clowns to the point that only the tentacles are showing. If the clowns were removed and the coral was moved to the 14K lights it would begin to open up much more. This coral is still a relatively healthy animal in this pic. I fear that if this environment doesn't change it will not remain that way.