View Single Post
Old 12/08/2006, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Location: Florida (UMiami) during school year, Massachusetts otherwise.
Cool beans.

I'm here as an undergraduate student at UMiami in the "marine science / bio majors and chem minor" thing myself. School spits out about 30 or so of these every year, of variable quality...

In any case, last month in a marine bio class RSMAS PhD student Andrew Baker gave a guest lecture on Symbiodinium flexibility and clade identification in the field. I thought his work might be helpful, if you haven't already seen it. Sorry I can't provide corals myself yet... it's really hard to keep a reef tank in a dorm room!

I think publications such as the following provide the specific arguments and considerations that sod was considering:

Baker AC, Ateweberhan M, Maina J, Moothien-Pillay KR (2005) Refining coral bleaching experiments and models through reiterative field studies. Marine Ecology Progress Series 305: 301-303

But what's important is the biogeography experiment itself, and I was just hoping it might help to see how Mr. Baker's experiment worked. Besides, FIU is so close... can't we all just get along?

Baker AC (2003) Flexibility and specificity in coral-algal symbiosis: Diversity, ecology and biogeography of Symbiodinium. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 34: 661-689

Baker AC(2004) Diversity, distribution and ecology of Symbiodinium on coral reefs and its relationship to bleaching resistance and resilience. In: Coral Health and Disease (Rosenberg E & Loya Y, eds.), Springer-Verlag, New York, Berlin, pp. 177-194

I'm sure you can all handle the research thing yourselves... but... hey, it's my two cents worth.