View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 02:34 AM
Registered Member

Stu,

there is a theory (?) that it may be possible to create a more selective skimming via a change in the uptake tube (reaction tube). This is part of the principle behind the new Korallen-Zucht skimmer. The tube is conical. Some skimmer cups already have this form. I don't know if it brings anything at this point in the skimming process, though.

As to whether this is actually working, I am unsure...therfore take it for what it is.. a new design.

The idea is exciting, as we currently have only the options of wet and dry (kinda a poor description choice, don't ya' think?), which really means changing the time in the reaction chamber. I skim wet, as this actually removes more ( a wider range) from the water column, but more of what is the question. Certainly, some of what I remove is from the positive side of the equation.

It is known that a portion of the organics in the skimmer do escape back into the water column in a reverse-flow system. I don't know the statistics.

On the purely technical side, this ia a very interesting area of study, but the practical apllication may be of little real value.