View Single Post
Old 02/09/2005, 08:59 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by dcoufal
Before 1/1/05, smoking was allowed outside of the hospital where I work.

It was routine to see patients (in for emph/lung cancer/etc.) standing outside the doors smoking a cigarette while ON OXYGEN!

A little part of me was always waiting for the "big boom"....

Effective 1/1/05 - no smoking is allowed on any property that is owned by the hospital. (And, we're talking *many* buildings/parking lots in *many* cities around Texas.)

Patients/Employees may only smoke IN their car. Anyone caught doing otherwise is quickly "corrected" by security. If the person(s) refuse to abide by the rules, the local police dept. is called to remove the person from the property. Employees will also only receive a single warning before termination.
As a NON-SMOKER I went through a Miscarriage while in the late portion of my 4th month of my pregnancy - My husband Was not allowed in the ER with me - During the hour he spent waiting he went outside in a Designated smoking area - and had a cigarette - obviously in alot of pain himself for his loss as well - a member of the STAFF came up to him and cursed him for smoking - making comments about how he was caring for several smokers who were dieing of lung cancer.

My Husband did not even bother answering the man.

You have no right telling an adult weather their smoking is right or wrong - unhealthy or not sure - its unhealthy - But given the situation I just described - My husband was losing his unborn child and someone was so into the whole "anti-smoking" thing that they chose to harrass and degrade my husband during a tramatic time in his life.

That being said - No smoking Rules ANYWHERE are always respected by the people I know who smoke. and should be.

If you are a non smoker in a designated smoking area - leave.

DISCLAIMER: this isnt a post in favor of smoking - this is a post in favor of respecting eachother.