View Single Post
Old 01/08/2008, 11:12 PM
g l a s s b o x

Quote:
Originally posted by won digity
there is so much crap that exists that is in very poor taste.

It's just that when it comes down to it, modernism/minimalism don't strike me as very rational living lifestyles (I'm more of a bohemian at heart ). Exhibits are great to look at, but not always fit in a home. As a lover of many different design styles, I just can't find it in my heart to be all too deep about and truly accept what people have been sold to as "Modern." Especially when you understand the hypocracy related to Modern design history, and what the Modern design movement is all about.
not to de-rail this further, but most of what is labeled modern is not my style. modern classics is one thing, but much of today's modern is like you say in very poor taste. also most people's conception of modern is minimal which is another misconception imo. the lines of modernism have been blurred, most likely forever...not that it's a bad thing, but i'll stick with the term contemporary

like you say minimalism isnt a look, it truly is a lifestyle. i find it odd how loosely it is used.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"