View Single Post
Old 12/01/2007, 03:39 PM
10 & Over Club

when you say FW breeding experience, do you mean mouthbrooding or nest building chiclids? or tetras?
Unfortunately thee is NO secret to breeding & raising marine fish
SW fish in general are equivalent to breeding tetras, in that most if not all require some form of microfood to start off, such as daphnia or infusoria in the FW, you'll need to grow rotifers, or brine shrimp nauplii in SW.
I would suggest you start w/. reading the top stickied threa din this forum, entitled "microfoods", then if you have time read the remaining article in the breeders net series, this way you'll see the progression from easy to less easy.

AS a beginner I would suggest you start w/ banggai cardinals since the fry are large when developed and eat "ENRICHED" live baby brine shrimp. This is a microfood easily cultured and enriched w/ phyto.
CLownfish are the next easist, and admittedly they are not easy, not difficult either, just but labor intensive
Neon gobies i would say only after you've raised clownfish, and have rotifer/phytoplankton experiences as well as basic culture/grow out techniques down.
Lymata shrimp at present are extremely difficult
Read away and good luck
frank