View Single Post
Old 09/20/2007, 09:45 PM
~~ P.P.P.P.P.P.P ~~

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
what's the advantages of mangroves in mud or a rock and rubble refugium
I have noticed that the mangroves grow better in a "mineral mud" substrate versus sand or crushed coral etc. after all, mud is the natural source for the nurtients that they require for growth in the wild. As far as advantages, mangroves remove nitrates plain and simple, just because they are slow growers does not mean that they function any different. I used to have exceptional growth with 175 w MH @ an 8 hr photoperiod, but had a problem with two of the plants overshadowing the remaing trees and ultimately starving them of light- since then, I have planted a dozen more and use a plain old flourescent light for illumination which gives me a nice consistent growth rate and no more competition.
Now, the rubble works virtually the same way as the larger rock in the display with the advantage of more surface area. Nitrates have never been an issue with the mangroves and yes, I totally agree that "You need the low oxygen area that is deeper into the rock". That is why I use the mangroves and mud.
One thing that I have not explained is my theory of success with LPS and clams. While I was in the Marine Corps twenty years ago, I spent two years in the Pacific basically around the Marianis island chain and the other side of the equator (south Pacific) in the coral sea to include the great barrier reef. I spent every precious moment of my "liberty" in the water and grew quite interested in the "lagoonal" species specifically LPS and giant clams- I was hooked! I knew then that the only way to have success with keeping anything for extended periods of time,I would have to emulate the natural "biotope" of the lagoon.
This is what I've come up with, a slightly lowered PH and salinity due to the buffering by the surrounding sand bed and the mangroves, well......they keep the nitrates at bay. I can only say from my expirience, anecdotal as it is, it works for me. TinMan