Thread: EuroReef Club
View Single Post
Old 06/05/2007, 08:34 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by manderx
you can't even begin to make a comparison between cars and skimmers. you can lookup hard facts on cars. you know it's horsepower, torque, 0-60,... skimmers are a different beast, with no such hard numbers. sure you can compare body size, air, water,... but that only gets you partway. doesn't equate to real-world performance since it's the little details that make or break a skimmer design.

so we're supposed to trust your assumptions over someone else's hands-on day in day out experience? enough of us have read enough of your posts to know what they are worth. (i'm still looking for that magical floating acrylic that is 1/8th the density of water)

well, since a mechanic has his hands inside them, knows what tends to break on them, and understands the workings better than the owners of course his opinion would mean something. doesn't mean i would automatically trust his opinion on a car he's only seen a picture of on the internet though. are you trying to compare yourself to a (skilled) mechanic?
The point was that I dont need to own one to have enough experience with one. As far as the worth of my posts, that is up to you... if the information is not of any value to you, simply pass on it... but others may find it important. I have no idea where you get some idea that Im going to procure 1/8 density of acrylic water... because I never said I would. So, dont trust my assumptions... no. Trust what my eyes have seen. I may not own the skimmers I talk about sometimes, but plenty of people around me do... and I have had my hands in them to know something.

mph, bhp, torque... sure, these are hard numbers, and so are the mass-flow-rates of air and water, volume or diameter and height of a skimmer. As for knowing which car will make it around a track faster... that is about as 'concrete' of a spec as how much skimmate a skimmer will truly pull... yet I can still tell which car will make it around the track faster... and its not based on assumptions. I wonder how that is... how a person can know 'where a bullet will land before pulling the trigger'... yet it happens. You know, just because I disagreed with you one time on one subject, doesnt mean you have to be so disagreeable with me.