View Single Post
Old 11/29/2007, 11:27 PM
Team RC Member

Cap'n, you asked about head pressure: on the Iwaki 100, it's way too much for a 54g tank even up 20 feet of hose. I have it cut back to half, up a 1" hose to a T, then to two more T's to calm it down. It's not been too bad on electric, but I'd advise the 55 for anything less than a 500g tank with multiple T's.

And somebody asked about caulerpa: as long as caulerpa is under a fixed light cycle it will behave; but if the light changes it appears to go into reproductive mode, which pollutes tanks. Never experienced this myself, but this is what I hear. I have some tangled in the cheato in my sump, but so far the cheato is winning.

And newsalt: it took 4 weeks of full fuge function [howzzat for alliteration?] for me to watch the last of my display tank caulerpa turn pale and die. I would estimate maybe a month you should see something.

Bertoni also reminded me of something I knew and hadn't recalled recently: phosphate can easily ride in with your initial load of live rock. So it will get in there. The question is how to get enough out.

I don't wash my food as I ought---but the fuge still keeps ahead of it.

But I did try some Coral Frenzy. INSTANT diatom problem, just fyi. If you see something appear, remember what you just added. Not that Coral Frenzy isn't a good food for corals, but the bloom was within 48 hours, so I'm real suspicious that was it. I also haven't fed it in a while, and the bloom has stopped.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.