View Single Post
Old 10/13/2007, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zurk666
What is the next step? Can you post more pictures?
The next first step is to prepare a new Day-care center to receive all corals that have already passed the first stage of reproduction in the Nursery. The second step will be to move the babies grown in plastic tubes to the reef plugs and put them in the new Day-care center for the second stage of reproduction. After this the Nursery will rest empty as it is obvious. The third step will be to make new collects of polyps or small fragments from the mothers-donors colonies existing in Maternity and settle them on plastic tubes and colonize the Nursery again. The fourth step is wait ...and wait...and wait... I'ill post pics showing all steps.

Quote:
Do you use natural water?
I do not use natural sea water. I use synthetic saltwater. As you know i live near the sea and I’m going to look for some unpolluted places to collect NSW to save $$$$.

Quote:
I never asked you this, but, you do not have the DSB (you got algae's on it, right?)
You're right, I have DSB with some algae growing on it (we can see it in the latest pictures I posted). It's true that if I let these algae grow freely on the DSB the sand layer will lose part of their functionality as DSB and the site will became operating as algae filter and refugium. The top layer of the DSB once full of algae will no longer be well oxygenated to succeed in the nitrification and the lower layer fail to make denitrification. Now I have a large mass of algae in the Rizophoras area, to work as filter of algae, and so I can remove some existing algae over the DSB.

Quote:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of it?
I Think that algae on the DSB has no advantages. The ideal is to have a DSB and a algae filter separated. So I am planning of remove most of the existing algae over the DSB and further develop existing ones in the the Rizophora area.

Quote:
Where did you get those colorful kills? Do all those kills came from that journey to Germany?
Most coral came from aquariums I had in my home. Everything was moved when i decided to create my prop system. Here I have more space and more freedom to do what I want to do. I have done coral changes with a some friends. From Germany I brought about 20 rare and colorful frags.

Cheers,