View Single Post
Old 07/08/2007, 02:03 AM
Crazy Is As Crazy Does...

Quote:
Originally posted by spike78
[B]Insane Reefer,

Are you still baking your rocks?
Yes, I am - it seems to work, and I usually get rock that is pH 9 or less in 1 week to 10 days.

Quote:
Right now it seems like technique 2 is working best as technique 1 rocks seem a little brittle. If you are still baking your rocks, what process are you using?
Technique two seems to be working for you better because it did - you are saturating the rock with moisture before baking it - moisture is vital to the hydration process. The other rock dried out too quickly as the heat just sucked it out. Try adding a tin can or 2 of really hot water next time, and leave the salt in the rock until after the bake. Also close all the vents on your BBQ.

I get the best results the sooner I bake - between 18 and 24 hours after casting, usually. I keep my temp at around 450°F, and keep a pan of water in with it to provide moisture, I also bake them for 4-6 hours, depending on the size of the rocks. The vinegar bath should follow the salt release. For the bath, try 3 days in 2 cups of vinegar to each gallon of water - you just need to cover the rocks with the solution. Rinse really well after they have sat, and refill the bin and allow to sit over-night, then drain. I then finish out the kure, a week or so with a couple of water changes.
I am going to try one rock, right after the acid bath, to see what it does to a test tank, just for curiosities sake.