View Single Post
Old 07/24/2007, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalkbreath
I still side with the position that
"Wims" as in pretty or more colorfull ."adapted" as in unnatural growing conditions (Aquarium). and "Solitude" as in the constant unchanging habitat of indoors , without seasonal variations (Summer Winter) .

Farmers of clams and corals which are propagated with these human demands in mind are just as actively domesticating species as a when a green house grower selects flowers which are more colorful or when a farmer choses to propagate wheat which stays on the stalk better during transport.
Coral and clam farms use the same parameters of selection, domestic viability and usefulness to decide if and when to re propagating these desirable morphs to establish these variations into new generations.

I think a nice link to Darwins work will help :http://www.literature.org/authors/da...hapter-01.html
I am glad you posted that definition, because I feel it more proves my point than yours. "Whims"- as in to benefit humans desires, whether it be aesthetics (as you mentioned), necessity, or otherwise. But nonetheless, to satiate our desire for it's existance. "Adapted"- as is to be changed from a previous form- ie- the "wild" ancestral form. And finally "Solicitude" (not solitude)- as in the effort of caring for these organisms. That definition you posted essentially states the domestication occurs through human efforts to satisfy humans needs (whatever they may be) and have changed from previous states to be something "new", based on the conditions humans have set for them.

Again, I raise my point- what differences are seen between the "Domestica" clams and the wild counterparts? Ability to tolerate captivity? This is not accurate, as wild clams can also tolerate captivity.

Using your examples again, you have pointed out human (artificial) selection. Not domestication. The colorful flower and damage tolerant wheat- where did it come from? From humans purposefully borbarding the flower with atypical conditions to stimulate new colors? From wheat that has been vigorusly and constantly shaken to stimulate better grain retention? More than likely not. They come from either genetic engineering, or as a naturally occuring variant parent organism, that has been selected for. Do these organisms exist outside the greenhouse and farmers field. If the answer is yes, then they are NOT domesticated. So, how do these examples apply to the clams? Only in as much as to prove that they are not domestciated (unless the Southeast Asian cultivars are genetically engineering them), but instead just selectively chosen.

Did you actually read that link to Darwin that you posted? Let me quote something from it- "Any variation which is not inherited is unimportant for us". What is inherited from these domestica clams which makes them domestic?