View Single Post
Old 12/11/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

The Old Nova Extremes were also fan cooled. I had a 8 bulb unit and it was just like the 6 bulb Pros with the fan cooling in the side panel. It too provided a pretty effective tunnel cooling effect.

Only thing really different is the reflectors. And as I figured, they are the same as the ones that Current has been using in the Outer Orbits w/T5 and some other fixtures. Individual channels bent from a single sheet. They dont completely envelop each bulb, unfortunately, but they do extend down to cober enough of the sides of the bulbs that I am sure that it will be a signifigant improvement.

When I first saw these coming out, I was a bit dissapointed. Yes, they improved the fixtures but they could have taken the fact that they realized they needed an upgrade and done it 100% right. They could have gone to true individuals or stayed with a single bent sheet but with a deeper, wider channel for each bulb. I think that this would have required a redesign of the fixture case itself. The new 6 bulb Pros seem to use the same case as the 8 bulb Nova extremes. That is probably why they didnt do it. That's not to rag on the fixture, I'm glad to see they are atleast moving forward and I still think it is a worthwhile improvement. Maybe next time they will jump ahead with truly optimized reflectors even if it means a new case design.

Anyway, it's an improvement, and thats a good thing.

Good luck with your new lighting.