View Single Post
Old 01/07/2008, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cloak
Why though? What was wrong with the first tank?
spend some time rereading the responses you have gotten thus far. they are all correct. the idea for a refugium is to create an additional environment within your system that can house things that may not necessarily be what you want to display, but nevertheless can play an important role in keeping your system healthy. macroalgaes like chaetomorpha can and will take up nutrients that would otherwise fuel algae growth in the display tank. additional live rock will act as a biofilter. microfauna like copepods will have an area in which to reproduce without worry of predation from fish in the main tank. there are many actual purposes, not the least of which is very very simple: additional water volume. imo, its not so much that something has to be "wrong" in the main tank for adding a refugium to make sense. instead, its an addition that allows the keeper to more completely represent the biodiversity of a natural environment in his or her system.