View Single Post
Old 01/04/2008, 11:18 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by dedfish
Sure...do you really think the R&D costs a lot? You do understand that the people on forums like these that are modding their skimmers are probably doing at least 50% of that R%D?

And I suppose you think a music CD is worth $15-$20?
No crap. I heard Dave at CoralVue is coming out with a Laguna based skimmer pump as well now... Gee, I wonder where that idea came from.

There are examples of products developed right on these forums that companies have turned around and made... sometimes with the consent/approval/knowledge of the designer... sometimes without.

I think its pretty smart for them to develop products with the input and help of the consumers though. I mean, how many of you out there have said 'I know I could do that better', or 'if only they would have made that part just a little different'... ?? Rewarding those who contribute is also a good idea. Sure, as a company, you can take the idea, as its not patentable once its posted here or sent to the company... but rewarding those that help encourages future developments. If a company takes an idea of someones, asks them to help/asks if they mind at least... maybe even rewards the person for their contribution, or at least gives credit, they are most likely to get that person's next suggestion or idea.

Its still a low volume/high margin market. The reef trade is a fraction of the aquarium trade at best, as much as it has grown in recent years. This means companies MUST charge a high margin, or they may not profit at all.