View Single Post
Old 12/31/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by donna53w
Hi Brent ... wow beautiful job on your new tank set up! You have been very busy putting it all together. Will you have to remove the stock hood?
Are you making your own ro/di water?
Welcome to the club ... it's a great place to be!
Donna
All mods fit under the hood so from the front the RSM looks stock. The only mods I made to the RSM itself were removing the chiller plug, cutting out a 9 inch wide portion of the back (below the hood) for the CPR overflow and removing a section of the power cord channel so the tank will surface skim with the water level above the top of the glass. The CPR overflow and lines to the Phosban Reactor use the space where the RSM skimmer was. The return line from the sump goes through the chiller slot and the Phosban reactor also hangs in this slot.

I took the hood off to try to show the mods. Once I get it filled and stocked with live rock I'll post a picture with the hoods on.

I had to do a lot of work with the Dremel to get a inlet line to feed the Nanocube 6 and still fit the hood. I drilled a hole in the back glass of the Nanocube with the Dremel and have it draning into the shallow tank which then drains to the sump.

I have a 6 stage R.O. filter in the kitchen so have been spending the day filling jugs. Figure it will take 3 days to fill all 4 tanks at the rate it is going.

Since I now have a lot of space in the place where the skimmer originally went I need to decide whether to leave it open or to put live rock rubble in it. I've heard live rock rubble can be a real detrius trab so am leaning toward leaving the back chambers empty. I'd appreciate any info on the pro's and con's of empty chambers vs. live rock rubble.