View Single Post
Old 11/29/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

I also did a PADI open water course through my university, and I felt like I had a great instructor. We met two nights a week for 3 hours a night for 4 months. What I really liked was that our course was much longer then most people's but it was combined with a CPR class, and we spent a lot of time on the basics. We discussed lots of stuff that wasn't even in the handbook, and I feel I would be far better prepared to dive after my course then a course of the same name my brother took at a local shop.

What I liked though was how practical my instructor was, he taught everything 3 ways, and he made it really fun. For the last 3 weeks of classes we played games where he would set up treasure hunts, randomly shut the lights off, or come up and flash cue cards at you. I really appreciate how much effort he put into making some habits second nature to us, and I'm sure many of his lessons will stick with me long after I have graduated.

Unfortunately the downside was that the course ran September - December, and in December ice tends to form in Canada. I'm hoping to do a refresher course soon, and then complete my open water dives. I'm hoping to make use of my certification this summer as I travel to Jamaica for a wedding.